ESLIM functions as a membership organization, with each participating church having one vote on the annual budget. Each of our participating church programs has at least one representative serving as a member of ESLIM’s Board of Directors. Board membership is not, however, limited to representatives of our participating programs. The Superintendent of the Arlington District of the United Methodist Church is a member ex officio of the Board.
ESLIM Board of Directors
- Julie Froom, President
- Doug Herbert, Vice President (Graham Road UMC)
- Terri Kennedy, Secretary (Crossroads UMC)
- Audrey Morris, Treasurer (First Presbyterian/Mt. Olivet UMC)
Arlington District Superintendent (member ex officio)
- Rev. Cathy Abbott (Superintendent, Arlington District, United Methodist Church)
- Sean Devolites (Pleasant Valley UMC)
- Maryann Fox (St. Matthew’s UMC)
- Patricia Franck (Centreville UMC)
- Florence Gubanc (Community of Christ Church)
- Jim Hurd (Grace UMC)
- Rev. Dave Kirkland (Dulin UMC)
- Cliff Mauck (Graham Road UMC)
- Mecia Miles-Rockett (Prince of Peace Lutheran)
- Rosemary Reed (Culmore UMC)
- Wayne Reynolds (Leesburg UMC)
- Ben Roberts (Foundry UMC)
- Dorothy Sorrell (Lord of Life Lutheran)
- Bob Wilson (Ekklesia USA)
- Jill Zabel (Bruen Chapel UMC)
- Linda Zaldivar (Good Shepherd UMC)
Since 2007, Julie Froom has served as President of ESLIM. Julie is an ESLIM veteran, starting as a teacher at the Arlington UMC ESL program in 1999 and then coordinating AUMC’s program from 2000 until 2015. A major in International Studies at Austin College, Julie has a master’s in public administration with a concentration in nonprofit management from George Mason University. She is Vice President of Operations at the Washington Internship Institute.
Dorothy Hettmann became ESLIM’s part-time Program Administrator in April 2011. Even before becoming Program Administrator, Dorothy has been a member of our ESLIM family. She has taught in our Grace UMC/Trinity program in Manassas since its inception in 2003 and was honored as an ESLIM Angel in 2008.
Dorothy is very active at Grace UMC, where she is Chairperson of the Church Council, a Spanish translator in the “Caring and Sharing” food pantry program, and a frequent participant in mission trips to Mexico and within the United States.
Dorothy has a bachelor’s degree in Spanish from Marywood College and studied at the University of Madrid and Ibero-American University in Mexico City. For more than 15 years, Dorothy worked for AT&T on IT-related projects, before becoming a full time mom to her three children.
The heart and soul of ESLIM from its beginning in 1989 to her retirement in 2009 was Monte Campbell. Through her dedication, intelligence, tenacity, brotherly love, and tireless work, Monte grew our program from its humble beginnings in the basement of Mt. Olivet church to a multi-church program throughout Northern Virginia – from Arlington to Centreville. Even in retirement, Monte remains ready, willing, and able to help ESLIM however she can. In honor of her past and present contributions to ESLIM, the Board of Directors voted to honor Monte with the title of “Director Emeritus.”