ESLIM functions as a membership organization, with each participating church having one vote on the annual budget. Each of our participating church programs has at least one representative serving as a member of ESLIM’s Board of Directors. Board membership is not, however, limited to representatives of our participating programs. The Superintendent of the Arlington District of the United Methodist Church is a member ex officio of the Board.
ESLIM Board of Directors
- Julie Froom, President
- Doug Herbert, Vice President (First Presbyterian of Arlington/Mt. Olivet United Methodist Church)
- Terri Kennedy, Secretary (Crossroads United Methodist Church)
- Audrey Morris, Treasurer (First Presbyterian of Arlington/Mt. Olivet United Methodist Church)
Arlington District Superintendent (member ex officio)
- Rev. Dr. Sarah Calvert (Superintendent, Arlington District, United Methodist Church)
- Bonnie Barber (Community of Christ Church)
- Patricia Franck (Centreville United Methodist Church)
- Jim Hurd (Grace United Methodist Church)
- Rev. Dave Kirkland (Dulin United Methodist Church)
- Dori McCormick (Franconia Area Churches Cooperative / St. John’s Lutheran Church)
- Sara Ortiz (Immanuel Bible Church)
- Mary Anne Rossbach (Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church)
- Mark Rumohr (Prince of Peace Lutheran Church)
- Deb Rymer (Vienna Presbyterian Church)
- Dorothy Sorrell (Lord of Life Lutheran)
- Jill Zabel (Bruen Chapel United Methodist Church)
- Laura Zotian (Fairfax United Methodist Church)
Since 2007, Julie Froom has served as President of ESLIM. Julie is an ESLIM veteran, starting as a teacher at the Arlington UMC ESL program in 1999 and then coordinating AUMC’s program from 2000 until 2015. A major in International Studies at Austin College, Julie has a master’s in public administration with a concentration in nonprofit management from George Mason University. She is Senior Vice President of Operations at the Washington Internship Institute.
Connie Hauer became ESLIM’s part-time Program Administrator in December 2017. Even before becoming Program Administrator, Connie was a member of our ESLIM family. She taught advanced students for three semesters in our program at Centreville United Methodist Church.
Connie has also taught an intermediate class of English learners at the Hogar Center in Manassas, and she has provided one-on-one tutoring at a private language school. In preparation for all of these activities, she earned a TESOL certificate.
Previously Connie taught middle school for more than 30 years, focusing on English, reading, gifted, and ESL. She earned a BS in secondary education from the SUNY College at Buffalo.
The heart and soul of ESLIM from its beginning in 1989 to her retirement in 2009 was Monte Campbell. Through her dedication, intelligence, tenacity, brotherly love, and tireless work, Monte grew our program from its humble beginnings in the basement of Mt. Olivet church to a multi-church program throughout Northern Virginia – from Arlington to Centreville. Even in retirement, Monte remains ready, willing, and able to help ESLIM however she can. In honor of her past and present contributions to ESLIM, the Board of Directors voted to honor Monte with the title of “Director Emeritus.”